If you google what the most important skill to have is you will see ‘becoming great at communication’ as one of the top results.
You can be the best at what you do, but if you fail to communicate your ideas, your value and what you are about, you will be doing yourself a huge disservice.
I have always been a good communicator, let’s say a mix of being a Gemini and Colombian helps a lot with this ;) However, when I moved to Australia and could not speak the language fluidly, I totally lost who I was. I actually realized how communication is the base of absolutely everything.
Unable to communicate in a confident way, I felt isolated, misunderstood and invisible.
It took me years to be able to feel authentic in English- read get to the point where I could translate my jokes to English and make them sound like me... So I had a first-hand experience of not being able to communicate effectively and how that impacted my relationships and my achievements.
Imagine if you could always say what you mean and say it in a powerful way...
Being an effective communicator will allow you to engage with others and be able to influence them in a positive way. But how can you become a captivating communicator? Here are some simple yet powerful tips:
· Engage with the person you are talking to: make eye contact, address them by their name and find common ground to talk about. Go deep, get to something important, not just small talk.
· Be clear: what is the outcome you desire out of the interaction. Stop worrying about what the other person is thinking about you and stay present listening actively so you know what to say next and you can do it in an articulate way.
· Understand perceptions: over 95% of the impression you are creating is non-verbal. Make sure your body language, image and tone of voice are in congruence with your words. Avoid the listener being distracted by your facial expressions or poor posture.
· Be flexible: understand who you are talking to and be able to slightly adjust your communication style to engage the listener. If you are talking to a loud, energetic speaker be your most expressive self for a minute or two. We like people that are like us. The same applies if you are a loud expressive person and you are talking to a soft quiet person, tone yourself down for a minute or two.
· Tell stories: That is the reason why we love movies, they tell a story. We can relate to them or know somebody who has had a similar experience. It makes us human. People will remember your stories, 100% guaranteed.
A charismatic communicator is a person everyone wants to talk to, the one that lifts your mood when you talk to them, and the person that will be remembered and be seen and found by opportunities. Make a point this week of watching how you communicate.
Does your team need these skills? I love training sales and customer service teams during my in house workshops and presentations on all topics related to communication, first impressions and personal branding.
Ready to become your most authentic, likable and charismatic self? Let's talk! Developing your personal brand will not only transform your career but it will transform your life and relationships. Book a time to have a free of obligation chat here.
To a more charismatic you!
Alba Gomez is an image and personal brand coach, keynote speaker, first impressions specialist and professional image consultant.
Born in Colombia and based in Australia, she travels nationally and internationally for speaking, executive coaching, consulting and training.
Alba works with individuals and small groups right through to large corporations. She brings her client’s image into line with their personal and professional roles, giving them the clarity and confidence to look and feel their best. Alba uses a unique, results-orientated approach, drawing on her 14 years of experience with systems and processes as an engineer.